modprobe nvidia (error inserting module)
bigbob
2004-10-27 14:04:38 UTC
I built a new system using kernel 2.6.9-gentoo-r1. after emerging
nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx I did a modprobe nvidia and recieved the
following error: FATAL: Error inserting nvidia
(/lib/modules/2.6.9-gentoo-r1/video/nvidia.ko): Unknown symbol in module,
or unknown parameter (see dmesg). Iv'e done this on several previous
kernels with no problem. Is there a bug in this kernel?

Bigbob
Sybren Stuvel
2004-10-27 21:59:06 UTC
Post by bigbob
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia
(/lib/modules/2.6.9-gentoo-r1/video/nvidia.ko): Unknown symbol in
module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg).
See dmesg, tell us the unknown symbol or parameter.
Post by bigbob
Iv'e done this on several previous kernels with no problem. Is
there a bug in this kernel?
Probably, but this is not a bug. Always start by assuming you're the
one with the problem, not the kernel. Besides being modest, it's
usually also easier to fix your own error than someone else's.

Sybren
bigbob
2004-10-27 17:34:07 UTC
Post by bigbob
Iv'e done this on several previous kernels with no problem. Is
there a bug in this kernel?
Probably, but this is not a bug. Always start by assuming you're the
one with the problem, not the kernel. Besides being modest, it's
usually also easier to fix your own error than someone else's.
Sybren
dmesg is: nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
nvidia: Unknown symbol __VMALLOC_RESERVE
bigbob
Andreas Klauer
2004-10-28 05:13:27 UTC
Post by bigbob
dmesg is: nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
nvidia: Unknown symbol __VMALLOC_RESERVE
For x86 systems, add the following in arch/i386/mm/init.c in line 44:

EXPORT_SYMBOL(__VMALLOC_RESERVE);

Then recompile the kernel. Fixed the problem for me. It would probably be
better to patch the nvidia kernel glue code instead, but I can't do that.
--
* Andreas Klauer | ~'' L@@k at Nerd Boy!
* Menaures (a) UNItopia | >> .\\. http://www.Nerd-Boy.net
http://www.UNItopia.de - deutschsprachiges Online-Textadventure MUD
Peter Jensen
2004-10-28 12:29:25 UTC
Post by Andreas Klauer
Post by bigbob
Unknown symbol __VMALLOC_RESERVE
EXPORT_SYMBOL(__VMALLOC_RESERVE);
Then recompile the kernel. Fixed the problem for me. It would probably
be better to patch the nvidia kernel glue code instead, but I can't do
that.
I have no line remotely resembling that, but nvidia works just fine
here. These are my kernel and driver versions:

sys-kernel/development-sources-2.6.9
media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6111-r2
media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6111

Either use a newer driver or drop the Gentoo kernel. Having to manually
patch your kernel should never be required ...
--
PeKaJe

The best book on programming for the layman is "Alice in Wonderland";
but that's because it's the best book on anything for the layman.
bigbob
2004-10-28 08:39:01 UTC
Post by Peter Jensen
Post by Andreas Klauer
Post by bigbob
Unknown symbol __VMALLOC_RESERVE
EXPORT_SYMBOL(__VMALLOC_RESERVE);
Then recompile the kernel. Fixed the problem for me. It would probably
be better to patch the nvidia kernel glue code instead, but I can't do
that.
I have no line remotely resembling that, but nvidia works just fine
sys-kernel/development-sources-2.6.9
media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6111-r2
media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6111
Either use a newer driver or drop the Gentoo kernel. Having to manually
patch your kernel should never be required ...
I went back to kernel-2.6.8 and got it working. I'll try 2.6.9 with the
newer nvidia drivers (was using 1.0.5331).

Bigbob